Skip to main content

Indie versus commercial

I'm going to stick my neck and say something that shouldn't be controversial; it's ok to buy commercial yarn from big brands. Don't get me wrong, I use a lot of yarn from indie dyers and small mills and absolutely love it, but I don't have to choose one or the other. They serve different purposes.

I work for a yarn company/retailer, we're somewhere north of 100 employees and we sell commercial yarn. Buying yarn from a larger company supports all the employees and the suppliers as well. It takes a larger customer group to make enough sales to pay the costs, but there are a lot of people making a living.
One of the arguments used to encourage buying from indie sellers is that you support local, you support the people working there. I want to make the same claim for buying from bigger companies. There are a lot of people involved making a living, and the area they live in might not be your local, but it still benefit from all these people in work. Without my salary I can't give back to my local community, and my salary depends on people purchasing commercial yarn. Sure, there are stakeholders who passively earn money this way as well, but we're a lot of people making a living from selling commercial yarn too.

Big brand yarns complement indie yarns. If I want to make children's garments I usually buy a hardy yarn that can take a lot of washes and hard wearing, I wouldn't spend a fortune on a delicate yarn that couldn't handle a childs' day; so often I go for commercial super wash yarns. If I want to make a shawl that is going to lie agains my neck and be a centre piece of my outfit I often go for a luxurious feel and look, and a handdyed yarn is often my first choice as I love the way the colours come out when hand dyed.

So whether you buy yarn from an indie dyer or a big brand, you are supporting a local community and people making a living.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Me Made May and my inner peer pressure

Dear self It's ok not to have made your wardrobe yourself. It's ok to buy clothes in shops. Sure, you've knitted a lot of sweaters, shawls, hats, etc. but you don't have to weave your own fabrics and sew your own clothes - you make a lot of other things! What about the print on the wall you made? Or the necklace? You made those! Be proud of things you've made or accomplished, even though it may not be your whole outfit.  May is a fantastic month and on social media a lot of the peope I follow celebrate Me Made May, a celebration of a home made wardrobe. I can sometimes feel the pressure to join in the choir, but the truth is that I've made the decision not to make my own clothes. I want to spend my time on other things and I'm happy to go shopping for my clothes. During MeMadeMay I sometimes have to remind myself that it is OK to wear store bought clothes. For some people it's not a choice, they may not know how to sew, in my case it's more of a ch

A poor writer blames the letters

Communication is important. We live in a society where we have 100's of communication channels in our mobile phones and most of us spend a significant part of our work day in front of a computer communicating with other people. Upping your communication game can change everything for you. I don't claim to be an expert, in fact, I fall into a LOT of communication traps all the time. This post is just as much for me as it is for you, I need to remind myself of some very essential points of successful communication from time to time. A message not understood is a useless message, and you can't blame the receiver for not understanding. If you want someone to understand your message, you need to make sure it's optimised for your reader. The most obvious mistake is sending a message in a language the receiver doesn't speak, but it doesn't end there. Words are only a portion of a language, there are cultural and traditional nuances to take into consideration as well

Search and you shall find

Demystifying search engines so you can be found  Searches and being found in search results is key for designers. Depending on the search engine used to look for patterns the designer needs to provide the information in different ways, this is called search engine optimisation and you probably recognise it by the abbreviation SEO. One thing that they all have in common is that you need to try to figure out what the users are searching for. You can add all the fancy names and words you want, but if that’s not what customers are searching for, then your page/pattern won’t be found. The search engines also work differently and take different information into account in the search. Google works in one way, but if you also sell patterns on Ravelry and LoveKnitting they both have internal search engines that you need to think about. Ravelry The internal search on Ravelry searches in the pattern name field, but doesn’t take the pattern description into account. The filters enables